Thursday, May 15, 2008

Rio de Janeiro

Sorry for the very delayed post on Rio but I have had very little access to email the past two weeks. While I had heard some very negative things about Rio, I had an absolute blast during my 6 days there. Rio is definitely known for its high crime rate due in large part to the fact the favellas (the poor, drug lord run areas) are located right next to the really nice areas. But I stayed in Impanema, a really nice area and my hostel was located only one block from the beach. When I was not hitting the beach or enjoying the nightlife with the locals whom I met there (the locals are so friendly), I did some of the more touristy stuff. Rio is blessed with some of the most magnificent views in the world from the mountain tops which surround the city, particularly the views from Sugarloaf mountain and the Christ statute. And since Rio was originally in the rainforest (they cut down a section of the rainforest to create the city), you can go hiking only a few miles from the city.

After Rio, I flew back into NYC and caught up with everyone I could in the four days I was there. I am now in San Diego looking for an apartment and getting ready for my bar classes. Back to reality.

Check back soon as pics from South America will be posted this week...

No comments: