Friday, April 4, 2008

Valpo, Chile

I spent the last three days in Valparaiso, Chile, or "Valpo" for short, and it is a city with a distinct feel all to its own. The only way I can describe it is it feels like I am walking around in a painting. The historic houses are multi-colored with unique shapes and sizes and they are all set atop the hillside of the city. The streets are full of graffiti art including an outdoor open air museum with work by different artisits. In addition, navigating the hillsides is virtually impossible and the only way to really get around is to wander aimlessly until you find one of the ascensors. The ascensors are basically ski lifts which take you up and down from the hillsides of Valpo. Unfortunately, the weather was a bit hazy when we were there so the trip to Vina del Mar, or the famous Chilean beach which is set along the Pacific Ocean, was cut short. I am now exploring Santiago for a few days before my sister and I catch a flight to Buenos Aires on Monday.

No comments: