Friday, April 11, 2008

Buenos Aires

After staying a few days at La Casa Roja, an awesome hostel in Santiago, Chile, and after sampling the Chilean wines at a local wine festival in Pirque, Chile (where we were forced to hitchike to the festival because they do not make it easy for tourists to attend), my sis and I headed for Buenos Aires.

I feel very at home here because Buenos Aires is very similar to New York City. The city is full of great food (even if you do not eat steak), lots of nightlife, great public transportation and best of all, there is a buzz here that I just have not felt since moving out of New York. The only bad thing is that I spent most of my first few days here gathering all of the paperwork necessary to obtain a Brazilian visa. The Brazilian government (which is apparantly known for its bureacracy) does not make it wasy to obtain the visa. Nonetheless, I have already managed to take in a tango show and tango lesson, check out the Soho like environment of Palermo, take a day trip to Uruguay (only 45 minutes by boat from BA) and watch as the city prepared for the presentation of the Olympic torch which passed through BA today. And of course, I checked out the legendary nightlife which rivals Madrid and Tel Aviv as the best nightlife on my trip so far.

Today was also the last day of my sister´s travels. She has been a great travel partner and we had a blast the past three weeks. So with one month to go, I am finally traveling solo. But not really...I have already made tons of friends in Buenos Aires and I am really looking forward to attending tomorrow´s soccer game here. More from Argentina later. Adios...

No comments: